Director of Children’s Ministries
Arlington United Methodist Church is seeking a full-time Director of Children’s Ministries. The Director of Children’s Ministries is responsible for managing all aspects of Children Ministry programming for preschool (2-4 years-old) and Kindergarten through fifth grade students. The ideal candidate demonstrates knowledge, skills and abilities that demonstrate strong communication skills, the ability to mentor and motivate teams, as well as recruit, train and sustain a cadre of volunteers. This servant-leader will join a staff that is dedicated to God, supportive of one another and committed to the vision of AUMC, “To reach out in love to draw our community of God.”
The people of Arlington are a loving, welcoming and Christ-centered congregation who embraces the community in which we live and serve. We serve in an urban context and generally see thirty to fifty community children and youth for Wednesday programming. This leader is expected to have a heart for God and a call to serve in children’s ministry.
Job description and submission information below: Salary commensurate with experience.
JOB TITLE: Director of Children’s Ministries
REPORTS TO: Senior Pastor
EFFECTIVE DATE: February 17, 2018
Purpose of Position:
The Director of Children’s Ministry will have the responsibility for the Christin educational programs of the nursery, kindergarten and elementary school children and their families of the Church by providing ministries which strengthen and benefit families.
Education, Skills and Abilities:
1. Bachelor’s Degree (education preferred).
2. Minimum of two years-experience in administration skills and children’s programs.
3. Must be a professing and practicing person of the Christian faith, with membership in a United Methodist Church, desired.
1. Must be a person of good moral character in line with the mission of Arlington United Methodist Church.
2. Must be personable, responsible and able to understand, respect, and implement the boundaries of confidentiality.
3. Must be able to understand, accept, and work with persons of all ages in order to help them to realize their potential and develop their talents through our organization.
4. Should have knowledge of, and be in accord with, the purpose and philosophy of the United Methodist Church.
1. Must possess an unconditional love, appreciation and enthusiasm for children of all cultures, abilities and dispositions.
2. Should be an organized person…punctual, disciplined, and attentive to details.
3. Should be team oriented…able to work with appropriate committees, ministry teams, volunteers and staff members.
4. Must be willing to learn new skills and abilities…open to opportunities for personal, spiritual and intellectual growth.
5. Should have knowledge of, and be in accord with, the mission and vision of the United Methodist Church.
Responsibilities and Duties:
1. Plan coordinate, staff, supervise the following children’s ministry related areas:
a. Sunday School: Preschool (2-4 years) and (K-5th grade).
b. Children’s Moment – Offer short appropriate children’s message during worship service; Coordinate volunteer speakers for Children’s moment.
c. Manage and coordinate Wednesday Night B.I.G. Kids’ Club activities.
d. Coordinate with Pastor presentation of Bibles to rising third grade students, Promotion Sunday and special seasonal events as related to Children’s Ministry.
e. Provide nursery care for all Sunday School and special worship services, Wednesday night programs, administrative meetings, and special events as required.
f. Hire, supervise, evaluate and terminate nursery personnel with advisement and oversight of the Staff Parish Relations Committee.
g. Promote and coordinate Annual Conference Summer Camp, including multiple fundraisers to accommodate a $100 scholarship for each child attending and a full scholarship if necessary.
h. Make hospital and/or home visits following the births, adoptions or illnesses of AUMC children; offer comfort to children in case of the death of a loved one (including pets); offer support and counsel for children and their families.
i. Recognize the children’s birthdays/school achievements – send birthday/congratulations cards and other appropriate methods that deepen the relationships between the church and the children/families.
j. Develop and implement a consistent method of communications with children and their families; utilize monthly newsletters or calendars to communicate pertinent information to keep everyone informed of activities.
k. Be continually alert and aware of safety and health hazards and report to the appropriate agency for correction. Check for cleanliness in all spaces utilized by the children prior to each use.
l. Develop and moderate a Children’s Ministry Council and attend Ministry Team Meetings as required.
m. Review and recommend literature for Vacation Bible School, Kids’ Club, Advent, Lent and other special interest topics as the relate to the spiritual growth and development of the children of AUMC.
n. Recruit and maintain a cadre of volunteers for weekly ministry and special events as necessary.
o. Coordinate, monitor and keep organized all children’s designated spaces, equipment and supplies.
p. Develop, submit and maintain an annual budget for Children’s ministry; submit required reports for Charge Conference and maintain accurate data relating to the grade level and attendance of activities related to children’s ministry.
q. Propose and plan additional ministries as needed to further children’s spiritual growth and development.
Submit resume and cover letter to:
Children’s Director Search Team
c/o Pam Taylor
email to: firstname.lastname@example.org; email@example.com
For additional information contact:
Rev. Arlinda Burks
1400 University Blvd N.
Jacksonville, FL 32211
Contact: Rev. Arlinda Burks
Address: 1400 University Blvd N Jacksonville FL 32211
Phone: (904) 744-1400
The Florida Conference of The United Methodist Church
450 Martin L King Jr Ave
Lakeland, FL 33815
(863) 688-5563 or toll free (800) 282-8011