The Board of Lay Ministry is the elected lay leadership of the Annual Conference. It therefore represents and is accountable to the Annual Conference. Its greatest contribution is through interaction with all facets of church life and work. The Board of Lay Ministry must live within the system of budget appropriation and accountability set by the administrative function of the Conference.
The Discipline (¶631) is clear that the Board of Lay Ministry shall have responsibility for the following:
- fostering an awareness of the role of the laity,
- developing the advocacy role for laity,
- increasing the participation of laity in the life of the church
- encouraging laypersons in the general ministry of the church,
- developing and promoting programs to cultivate an adequate understanding of the theological and biblical basis for lay life and work,
- developing and promoting stewardship of time, talent and possessions,
- providing for the training of lay members to Annual Conference,
- providing support and direction for such lay programs as lay speaking, the observance of Laity Sunday, and the work of lay leaders on the local and district levels,
- organizing a conference committee on lay speaking ministries.
These are all action verbs that would suggest that the Board of Lay Ministry will be “doing something” rather than just “meeting”. We will exert leadership by focusing on ¶631 and our objectives. These functions will be taken seriously at the district laity level also.
Board of Lay Ministry Mission: To enable lay persons to be in mission and ministry in all aspects of life, making a positive difference for Jesus Christ in our communities and world.
Conference Lay Leader Vision: To mobilize the laity through their Spiritual gifts to become the hands and feet of Jesus Christ, going out into their communities and the world to witness and serve.
Contact one of our Co-Lay Leaders: Alice Williams firstname.lastname@example.org or Derrick Scott III email@example.com