The 2016 Book of Discipline, states that local pastor should make adequate annual progress towards completion of their educational requirements. The Florida Conference has set the following definition for “adequate progress.”
- For local pastors who are completing Course of Study (COS), adequate process is contingent on the percentage of the appointment.
- Part-time local pastor – two classes per year
- Full-time local pastor – four classes per year
- Four classes are the maximum number of COS classes that can be completed in an academic year. An exception of one additional class in a year may be requested by a student. Such a request may be granted by the COS school on a case by case basis, only after approval of the request by the district superintendent, conference registrar, director of the COS school, and the Division of Ordained Ministry (General Board of Higher Education and Ministry [GBHEM]).
- The Florida Conference requires a C or better grade for coursework completed.
- No more than 1/2 of the courses may be taken online. Hybrid courses count as residential courses.
- Local pastors who are retired and are appointed, but have not yet completed the Basic Course of Study must continue with COS classes.
COS 121 is required before you can take COS 221 or COS 321. COS 122 is required before you can take COS 222.
Click Here for more information from GBHEM on Course of Study.
Information about Emory COS
Information about Florida Satellite Weekend COS
Licensing School and Course of Study Contact at Candler School of Theology, Emory University:
Licensing School and Course of Study School
For information about Duke Weekend or Summer COS please Click Here.
Duke Course of Study Contact:
Staff Assistant for Course of Study
Other COS Options:
Transcripts and Records
COS Regional and Extension Schools will maintain student records and report them following each session to the General Board of Higher Education and Ministry and to your Annual Conference. Students can obtain a copy of the transcript by emailing email@example.com. The COS Office does not issue transcripts; those are only issued by GBHEM.