NW August 2018 Newsletter
Back to School BBQ at FSU Wesley
Help us welcome hundreds of college students back to school this fall at Wesley’s Annual Back to School BBQ on Wednesday night, August 29. If you are interested in serving, please come to the Wesley Foundation at 5:30pm. We will serve BBQ starting at 6:00pm until 7:30pm. The FSU Wesley Foundation is located at 705 West Jefferson Street in Tallahassee. Call us at 850-222-0251or email firstname.lastname@example.org.
Memory Ministry: A New Partnership
In 1991, under the leadership of Rev. John Fletcher, Saint Paul’s UMC founded Alzheimer’s Project to serve families in the community who care for an individual with dementia. Alzheimer’s Project and Saint Paul’s UMC are teaming together again to reignite this Memory Ministry. Join us for an evening of discovering ways we can all help our memories to work as best they can, at any age. Learn the signs of dementia and how it differs from normal aging. Come together as a congregation to help families caring for a loved one with memory issues. And, gain skill in spending time with someone with dementia. This program is open to anyone in the Tallahassee community. However, there is a special focus on enhancing current programs such as the Friday Social Club – Day Respite at Saint Paul’s and developing events such as a worship service for individuals with memory issues at SPUMC. Join us Friday, August 24th 6:00 pm to 8:00 pm in Sanders Hall. Pizza will be available with RSVP to email@example.com 387-2778.
The Salem United Methodist Church of Havana finds itself with extra metal pew pockets. There are 25 small and 21 large, with screws for mounting. If interested, please contact us by August 17th at 850-539-6634 or SUMCHavana.firstname.lastname@example.org.
Big Bend Front Porch will be collecting tennis shoes for children as they head back to school. Please consider donating new and/or slightly used shoes for children ranging in size from a toddler’s size 9 to adult size men’s 11/women’s 9 *middle & high school children wear adult sizes.
- No shoes, No problem. Please pray for this collection campaign!
- Please let us know if your church or organization would like to be a collection site for this project.
For More Information: Call Hagar Mickens 850-575-0476.
LOOKING AHEAD TO SEPTEMBER
1. Clergy Meeting with Assistant Bishop Alex Shanks
North West Clergy will be meeting together on September 13, 10 AM - noon with lunch following at Killearn UMC in Tallahassee. Alex Shanks will share the latest on "A Way Forward."
2. The Cross and the Flame: Conversations with Bishop Carter
Join Bishop Ken Carter at one of our important fall regional gatherings. These events are open to all. There will be an opportunity to submit questions for Bishop Carter prior to the gatherings. Each event will begin at 6:30 PM and a reception will follow.
Sunday, Sept. 16 - Killearn UMC, Tallahassee
Monday, Sept. 17 - First UMC, Winter Park
Tuesday, Sept. 18 - First UMC, Boca Raton
Wednesday, Sept. 19 - Harvest UMC, Lakewood Ranch
To Register for the Cross & Flame event, please visit https://florida-reg.brtapp.com/bishopconversation
1. Director of Children and Youth Ministries / John Wesley United Methodist Church
- Someone who has a heart for children and youth and a heart for God.
- Have a personal relationship with Jesus Christ.
- A desire to teach and mentor children and youth with patience and an accepting heart.
- Preferably have an educational background in Christian Ministries, Biblical Studies, or a related field. HOURS: 10 to 12 hours per week SALARY: $8,000 Annually
PURPOSE OF POSITION:
To ignite a desire for a genuine relationship with Christ and to equip the kids to not only grow spiritually but also learn to show love of God and love of neighbor. Encourage and equip parents and families to develop practices to help their children grow spiritually. Promote study of scripture and deepening of prayer life, as well as, provide opportunities for ministry leadership, outreach to the community, and connection to the mission field. To teach a Bible based and United Methodist friendly curriculum and encourage a life that follows Jesus.
JOB DUTIES INCLUDE, BUT ARE NOT LIMITED TO:
- Responsibility for the oversight and leadership of the Children’s ministries that include: Sunday afternoon ministries, Children’s Church, Special Events, Vacation Bible School.
- Recruit, train, pray for, and involve new children’s ministry volunteers.
- Create and effectively manage the ministry’s budget.
- Maintain ministry’s section on website.
- Communicate consistently with parents, as well as, provide the tools they need for spiritual leadership6. He or she will be in charge of leading the children and youth, fostering relationships with children, youth, and their families, and helping to disciple children and youth.
OTHER GENERAL EXPECTATIONS INCLUDE:
- Should always exhibit professionalism, demonstrated by: a well-groomed appearance, conscientious work ethic, be willing and able to work at a fast pace within a variety of settings and circumstances, with composure and flexibility.
- Should be ever conscious of the need for confidentiality.
- Should exercise discernment and wise judgment.
- Should be a person who gives extreme attention to details with an eye for excellence.
- Should be well organized, a self-starter, passionate, and good at multi-tasking and prioritizing projects.
- Maintain personal spiritual development through Bible reading, prayer, Christian community, and model what it means to be a disciple
- Endorse and support the local church and its mission as well as the ministries of the worldwide work of the United Methodist Church.
Responsible to the Staff Parish Relations Committee, working directly under the supervision of the Senior Pastor. The position will be evaluated, annually. This person will also work with the Connections Committee to help plan and vision for the ministry opportunities with children, youth, and their families.
If interested, please submit your cover letter, résumé, and references to John Wesley United Methodist Church at:
John Wesley UMC Ph. 850-877-1738
Attn.: Youth Ministries Position Fax 850-877-4484
1689 Old St. Augustine Road Email: email@example.com Tallahassee, FL 32301
2. Director of Family Ministry
The First United Methodist Church of Chiefland is hiring a Director of Family Ministry to oversee and facilitate children/youth ministry. This is a 25 hour per week position which has the potential to grow as the ministry grows. The salary is $20,000 annually. A passion for children and youth is required as one shows God’s love. Experience is preferred. Must be willing to submit to a criminal background check. Please send inquiries and resumes to Pastor Alex Christian at First United Methodist Chiefland, firstname.lastname@example.org 352-493-4627.
3. Nursery Attendants
The First United Methodist of Chiefland church is hiring two nursery attendants during services on Sundays from 10 am – 12 pm. The salary is $20.00 per person per Sunday. Experience is preferred. Must be willing to submit to a criminal background check. Please direct all inquiries to Pastor Alex Christian at First United Methodist Chiefland email@example.com 352-493-4627.
Florida Conference Women's Spiritual Enrichment Retreat
September 7 – 9, 2018, Life Enrichment Center, 4991 Picciola Rd., Fruitland Park
Then you will live a life that honors the Lord, and you will always please him by doing good deeds. You will come to know God even better. Colossians 1:10 (CEV)
$145 for room and meals (Friday dinner – Sunday breakfast) Double occupancy.
$185 for room and meals (Friday dinner – Sunday breakfast) Single occupancy
$75 for room and meals (Saturday lunch – Sunday breakfast) Double occupancy
$95 for room and meals (Saturday lunch – Sunday breakfast Single occupancy
$40 for Commuter (Saturday lunch, dinner and day fee)
$75 for Youth Graphic from United Methodist Women Program Book 2017-2018
Retreat Leader: Rev. Vidalis Lopez, Associate Pastor, First United Methodist Church, Coral Gables
Youth Leader: Kenya Monroe
Questions? Contact Kay Roach at firstname.lastname@example.org.