Advanced Course of Study
The Advanced Course of Study is a curriculum that enables a local pastor to meet the educational requirements for probationary membership, full conference membership, and ordination as an elder in The United Methodist Church.
Local pastors who complete the requirements of the Course of Study may continue their preparation for conference membership and ordination as an elder through an Advanced Course of Study program. The Florida Conference requires a C or better grade for coursework completed. The Discipline requires that local pastors who seek ordination:
- Be at least forty years of age
- Complete a Bachelor’s degree from a College/University recognized by the University Senate. In some instances, a minimum of 60 semester hours of Bachelor of Arts credit is acceptable.
- Complete the five-year Course of Study, of which no more than four courses may be taken by correspondence or online.
- Complete 32 semester hours of graduate theological study or its equivalent as determined by the General Board of Higher Education and Ministry.
- The following 5 courses are required and must be included in your overall 32 credit hours: United Methodist History, United Methodist Doctrine, United Methodist Polity, and 2 additional courses from the BGTS (Basic Graduate Theological Studies section).
Please note that every Annual Conference has different requirements for students seeking Ordination. Before beginning ACOS, you must meet with your Annual Conference Ministerial Services Office and become familiar with those requirements.
Section 1: Courses required by the Book of Discipline:
___ United Methodist History
___ United Methodist Doctrine
___ United Methodist Polity
Section 2: Additional Courses required by Florida Annual Conference or electives:
___ Preaching (for Elders)
___ Elective 1
___ Elective 2
___ Elective 3
Section 3: Basic Graduate Theological Studies Courses:
___ Old Testament
___ New Testament
___ Church History
32 Total Credit Hours