2021 Focus for Kingdom Results
“As the time drew near for him to ascend to heaven,
Jesus resolutely set out for Jerusalem.” Luke 9:51 NLT
noun 1. a thing that prevents someone
from giving full attention to something else
One of my favorite quotes from author and speaker Brene Brown is “clarity is compassion.” I appreciate when people are crystal clear with me ... express their intentions, dreams, and desires so that I fully can understand my part in their hoped-for future. What is frustrating is when I am foggy about what is being asked of me and how I can add my energy to the goal. Pastor and writer Craig Groeschel unpacks in his podcast, “Your Most Focused Year Yet” (https://youtu.be/3oLQw-XKE_I) a leader’s top priority: focusing a team’s attention and energy toward a goal, making sure the win is clearly defined, the distractions are reduced, and a process is formed.
I have listened to this podcast 2x and plan to listen another 2x so I can capture and apply the concepts in my own work and life. I want to be a leader that accomplishes the big wins for Kingdom results. From lots of experience, I know they won’t just happen. What do you do to accomplish your goals? I would encourage you to listen to Craig’s podcast. Our pastors will be using this material in their Peer Learning Groups over the next several weeks. How can you implement this learning in your local church?
Jesus understood the power of focus. In Luke’s gospel, we read that the time of crucifixion and resurrection was around the corner and now it was time to go to Jerusalem. I love how the NLT translation puts it: “Jesus resolutely set out ...” He knew the road ahead would be painful, but He also knew the eternal Kingdom win of resurrection. He was focused. Imagine if he had been thrown off course, distracted, or sidelined by his friends and enemies? He was resolute and focused even to the point of sending an advance team “to the Samaritan village to prepare for his arrival” (Luke 9:52). When the hoped-for future is eternal, the plan must be precise.
John Wesley, the founder of Methodism, developed a discipleship process that involved grouping people together to live life, offering friendship, accountability, support and learning God’s word. This process changed the world one group at a time.
This past November, we used our District Leadership Training time to begin mapping a clear pathway to discipleship. On Saturday, March 13, 2021 from 9:30 AM – 12:00 Noon we will be having Part 2 to continue this good work. If you missed the first session, no worries – we will get you up to speed. Here is the registration link: https://florida-reg.brtapp.com/ACDistrictLeadershipTrainingEventandWorkshop202071. If you have questions, please contact our district office at firstname.lastname@example.org. Our district goal is for every church to have a clear discipleship pathway so that irreligious people can become dedicated disciples of Jesus, experiencing transformation to the fullest.
Two of the learnings from Craig’s podcast that I am committed to applying in my own focused goal-setting and goal-accomplishing for 2021 are 1) writing down my goal – increases the likelihood of accomplishing it by 42% and 2) telling a friend my goal – increases the likelihood of accomplishing it by 78%. How about you? Join me in these pretty simple steps as we journey together to accomplish big Kingdom wins for 2021! May God bless you and see you on March 13!
Grace and peace ~
Dionne C. Hammond
Chief Missional Strategist for the Atlantic Central District
All Atlantic Central District Churches are invited to join us for this event and workshop
Saturday, March 13, 2021
9:30 AM - 12:00 PM
Gather your Leadership Team, meet at your church - following safe protocols, and join us virtually for this event and workshop that is a follow up to the "Pathway to Life in Christ" Event and Workshop that was held on November 20, 2020.
There is a two-step registration process.
- Click on the "Pathway to Life - Register Now" button below to either:
Register as a church - to meet at your church as a team with one person joining the Zoom call - sign up with your local church Pastor or Administrative Assistant - they will be registering your team
Register as an individual to join the Zoom call from home (Breakout sessions will be held through the morning where you will be in a meeting with your church)
2. Check your e-mail at the address provided for the Confirmation email from our office, and register on Zoom at the link provided.
Both steps must be completed in order for you to participate. You will receive a confirmation e-mail from Zoom to join the event. If you have questions about the registration process, please call the District Office at 772-299-0255.
Do you have questions about Lay Servant Ministry and where to take the Basic or Advanced Courses in this time of COVID?
Visit the Florida Conference Lay Servant Ministry webpage by clicking here. Online courses are currently being offered through Be A Disciple.
You can also contact Kathy Megerle, AC District Lay Servant Ministry Director, by e-mail to email@example.com. She is happy to answer any questions you may have.
You can also contact the AC District office by phone at 772-299-0255.
In the next several weeks, Rev. Wes Olds, Dr. Bryan Sims, and Rev. Jorge Acevedo are offering three two-hour workshops. These are free workshops.
Teaching Team Workshop with Rev. Jorge Acevedo
- Monday, February 15, 2021
- 12:00 - 2:00 PM
- For more than ten years, the Grace Church pastors and staff have been experimenting and innovating the craft of message preparation through teams. Yes, even sermons can be developed in teams. This workshop will help churches of all sizes build a Teaching Team.
The United Methodist Connectional Federal Credit Union is offering the following opportunities:
- For Churches: The UMC FCU is providing second PPP loans - click here for more information
- For Students: The UMC FCU Annual $1,000 scholarship - click here for more information - Application deadline is April 30, 2021.
- Four $1,000 scholarships will be awarded
As of January 2021, the Atlantic Central District has supported the Bishop's "Fill the Table" Initiative to provide 3,000,000 meals in one year to Florida families.
Our collective support has provided:
$30,886 in money raised
31,830 meals served
124,814 pounds of food distributed
9,679 pounds of food gleaned
826 average number of volunteers per week
Each church is asked to complete a monthly report to let the Conference and the District know how their church is supporting this effort.
Click here to visit the Fill the Table website and to complete the monthly report.
For information about Annual Conference 2021, please visit the FLUMC AC2021 webpage for dates and additional information by clicking here.
The Atlantic Central District is offering grants to the AC District churches in an effort to support the mission and vision of our churches. If your church would like to apply for a grant, please complete the application form at the link below.
Your church will need to give details about the project by completing a MAP (Ministry Action Plan).
Download the MAP (Ministry Action Plan) template by clicking here. (Word document)
Below is a list of some of the e-mails that were sent out from the Florida Conference over the last several weeks. If you have any questions about the information sent our or you did not receive one or more of the emails, please contact our office.
- A Covid-19 discussion with Dr. Kevin Sneed and Members of The FAC . . . sent on 2/1 at 2:06 PM - Registration required
- 2021 Ministry Protection Insurance Allocation Available Online & State-Mandated Payroll Survey . . . sent on 1/27 at 2:33 PM
- Survey must be completed between February 1 - 22, 2021. Click here for the Payroll Survey to be completed by the person who completes payroll for your church.
- Worship Deep Dive, Both/And, Maximizing Hybrid Worship for Online and In-Person Experiences . . . sent on 1/22 at 12:30 PM
- Information available at the link here: https://www.flumc.org/ac-events-and-trainings
- Florida Conference News Digest . . . sent on 1/22 at 8:01 AM
- Children's Week Advocacy Week Training available . . . send on 1/20 at 11:39 AM
- Scholarship Opportunity Presented by the Committee on Native American Ministry . . . sent on 1/18 at 3:01 PM
- Love and Forgiveness: A 31-Day Journey from MLK Day to Ash Wednesday . . . sent on 1/14 at 4:00 PM
- Annual Clergy Evaluation . . . sent on 1/13 at 2:00 PM
- There is a new process for Annual Clergy Evaluations. Visit the FLUMC website for details by clicking here.