A Way Forward
Use the following links to find Way Forward resources including the POV material and videos and testimonies by a number of our leaders, including Way Forward Commission members Rev. Jorge Acevedo and Alice Williams.
How can I learn about the Way Forward?
- For information about the Point of View (POV) process, which has been happening in many of our local churches, click here. The purpose is to create empathy in congregations and communities and to approach the LGBTQ conversation from a posture of listening to scripture and each other. POV was developed by a cross section of leaders across a theological spectrum and is also being used as a resource in other conferences.
- Bishop Ken Carter convened four regional gatherings in Tallahassee, Winter Park, Boca Raton and Bradenton in September around the theme "The Cross and the Flame." These followed six meetings over the last two years, which were held in Gainesville, Cape Coral, Loxahatchee, Jacksonville, Tampa and Orlando. Bishop Carter reflected on the future of the church and took time answering submitted questions. To watch a compilation video of the regional gatherings click here .
- Rev. Alex Shanks presented in the eight districts this fall to review the three plans that are present in the Commission on a Way Forward’s report to the Special Session of the General Conference. To see the report click here. These district gatherings followed the presentations about the Way Forward held in each district in the Winter of 2018.
- The Special Session of the General Conference will be held in St. Louis, February 23-26, 2019. To learn more about the Special Session or how to attend the Special Session as a visitor, click here. The names of our delegation to the General Conference, with equal representation of laity and clergy and led by Molly McEntire and Rev. Alex Shanks, are listed here. To see all the petitions before the Special Session click here for the Advanced Daily Christian Advocate, click here.
- The Conference Table, convened by our Lay Leader Paulette Monroe and Bishop Ken Carter on October 20th, included an open conversation with our General Conference delegates about the Special Session in February. Click here to watch a video of those who registered to speak at this gathering. To attend a web-based virtual listening session on Wednesday, November 14, at 10 a.m. click here.
- We encourage you to share this page with others, www.flumc.org/wayforward, which contains videos, testimonies, and links to the Annual Conference presentations by a number of our leaders, including Way Forward Commission members Rev. Jorge Acevedo and Alice Williams.
- Bishop Carter’s book, Embracing The Wideness of God’s Mercy, will be published by Abingdon Press in late August, and is available through Amazon and Cokesbury. You can learn more about the book here. It includes material that has been included in local churches and clergy gatherings in the Florida Conference, and is a traditional evangelical case for greater inclusion of LGBTQ persons in our local churches.
The Florida Conference of The United Methodist Church
450 Martin L King Jr Ave
Lakeland, FL 33815
(863) 688-5563 or toll free (800) 282-8011