Would you like the opportunity to mentor those considering ministry?
The Summer Pastoral Ministry Internship Program is for young adults, ages 18-26, who are interested in exploring ordained ministry through 10-week summer internships at United Methodist Churches and other approved extension ministry settings within the Florida Conference. These internships seek to provide a holistic, hands-on experience in pastoral ministry within a variety of areas of responsibility and under the guidance of a supervisor.
Interns are expected to work 30 hours/week as scheduled with the Supervising Pastor.
Please submit a Summer Pastoral Intern Job Description noting your churches interest in the Summer Pastoral Internship Program to Holly Finley at firstname.lastname@example.org, Sara McKinley at email@example.com, and Marie Becker at firstname.lastname@example.org. It would be good to clearly note the responsibilities and expectations of the intern.
The deadline for intern job descriptions is April 30, 2020.
2020 Key Dates
- Internship Program: Monday, May 25, 2020 through Friday, July 31, 2020
- Intern Training Day: Friday, May 22, 2020 (Interns and Supervising Pastors)
- Intern Reflection Day: Monday, August 3, 2020 (Interns Only)
Responsibilities of Host Site:
- Provide adequate housing/utilities for intern’s 10-week program in a congregant’s home, if needed
- Contribute $1,500 to the intern’s stipend and with the $1,500 that will be sent to the host site during the first week of the internship from the O.C.E., pay the student $3,000 for 10 weeks.
Responsibilities of Supervising Pastor/Minister:
- Develop an internship job description that clearly lays out expectations and desired outcomes
- Attend Intern Training Day
- Meet weekly with intern for supervision and reflection, or designate an alternate supervisor in your absence
- Provide intern with a wide variety of tasks and experiences in ministry
- Allow intern to have hands-on experience, with regular feedback in preaching, teaching, worship leadership, pastoral care, administration, and outreach/mission
- Support the intern’s vocational discernment
- Read and review the required text: Let Your Life Speak by Parker Palmer, with the intern.
Responsibilities of Office of Clergy Excellence:
- Contribute $1,500.00 to the intern’s stipend which will be sent to the host site the first week of the internship, plus an additional $500 which will be given to the intern as a check at the end of the internship, IF the intern attends both the Orientation and Reflection Days.
- Train interns and supervisors before the program start date— Friday, May 25, 2020 from 10am to 3pm at the Conference Office in Lakeland. Training will include Child Youth Protection Training, and a background check.
- Lead a Reflection Day for interns at the conclusion of the program— Monday, August 3, 2020 from 10am to 3pm at the Conference Office in Lakeland.