Interested in learning more about what it means to be in ministry?
This program is for young adults, ages 18-26, who are interested in exploring ordained ministry through 10-week summer internships at United Methodist Churches and other approved extension ministry settings within the Florida Conference. These internships seek to provide a holistic, hands-on experience in pastoral ministry within a variety of areas of responsibility and under the guidance of a supervisor.
- Hours: 30 hours/week as scheduled with Supervising Pastor
- Housing: Provided (may be in a congregant's home)
- Salary: $3,500.00 ($1,500 host site, $1,500 Office of Clergy Excellence, plus an additional $500 for attending both the Orientation and Reflection Day)
Click Here to access the 2022 Summer Pastoral Ministry Internship Program Application.
The deadline for applications is April 29, 2022.
2022 Key Dates
- Internship Dates: Monday, May 30, 2022 through Friday, July 29, 2022
- Intern Training Day: Friday, May 27, 2022 (Interns and Supervising Pastors)
- Intern Reflection Day: Thursday, August 4, 2022 (Interns Only)
If you have questions, please contact Sara McKinley E-mail .
Responsibilities of Intern:
- Attend Intern Training and Reflection Days
- Fulfill the terms of the internship (assigned leadership role, tasks, work hours, read assigned text, etc.)
- Provide own transportation and meal costs, as well as any personal expenses
- Job-related transportation requires you to be 21 years old
- Weekly check in with Office of Clergy Excellence
Responsibilities of Supervising Pastor/Minister:
- Develop an internship job description that clearly lays out expectations and desired outcomes
- Attend Intern Training Day
- Meet weekly with intern for supervision and reflection, or designate an alternate supervisor in your absence
- Provide intern with a wide variety of tasks and experiences in ministry
- Allow intern to have hands-on experience, with regular feedback in preaching, teaching, worship leadership, pastoral care, administration, and outreach/mission
- Support the intern’s vocational discernment
- Read and review the required text with the intern.
Responsibilities of Office of Clergy Excellence:
- Train interns and supervisors before the program start date. Training will include Child Youth Protection Training, and a background check.
- Lead a Reflection Day for interns at the conclusion of the program— Monday, August 2, 2021 from 10am to 3pm at the Conference Office in Lakeland.