The Beloved Community
The missional aims of the Beloved Community are:
- To create and facilitate opportunities for creative conversation, reflections, debates as well as managing conflict and differences in a safe and healing space.
- To encourage and support the constituents both clergy and lay of the Florida United Methodist Church in understanding how what they do or don't do in challenging the "isms" impacts personal, interpersonal, institutional and cultural effectiveness.
The Beloved Community seeks to fulfill this mission by:
- Sensitizing the Annual Conference about mono-culturalism and racism
- Facilitating workshops and providing resources related to issues of racism, diversity and cultural inclusiveness
- Monitoring and evaluating racial and cultural inclusiveness on all levels of the Annual Conference
- Giving voice to multicultural and racial issues and concerns in the Annual Conference
These are some of the services the Beloved Community ministry will offer:
- Annual Conference, district and local church training on racial diversity, inclusiveness, cross-racial appointment orientations and the dynamics of mono versus multiculturalism
- Facilitating workshops within districts and local churches that provide strategies and insights for developing outreach plans for engaging culturally and racially changing communities
- Supporting districts by presenting at annual district training events on the subjects of racism and multiculturalism
- Providing assistance to the Bishop and Cabinet on issues relating to diversity and inclusiveness within the Florida United Methodist Church
What is the Beloved Community?
Beloved Community Guidelines
Beloved Community Training Map (Infographic)
Beloved Community Training Map (Talking Points)
Multiple Identities (Infographic)
For more information and to schedule a training, please contact Harold Lewis at (800) 282-8011 ext. 346 or by e-mail at firstname.lastname@example.org.
The Florida Conference of The United Methodist Church
450 Martin Luther King, Jr. Avenue
Lakeland, FL 33815
(863) 688-5563 or toll free (800) 282-8011