This can be enjoyed year-round by using good quality canned tomatoes.
Tomato and Bread Soup with Basil
Recipe for 4 servings
Prep: 15 minutes
Cook: 25 minutes
Suitable for freezing
1 large onion
1-2 tbsp balsamic or red wine vinegar
3 garlic cloves
4 oz. water
2 lb. ripe tomatoes*
2 tbsp. chopped fresh basil (or dried equivalent)
6 tbsp. extra virgin olive oil
salt and pepper
2 cups vegetable stock
1 tsp. sugar
6 oz. day old country Italian or
To Serve: olive oil, Parmesan cheese, basil springs
1. Peel and finely chop the onion and garlic; roughly chop the tomatoes. Heat half the oil in a saucepan, add the onion and garlic and fry for 5 minutes until softened.
2. Add the tomatoes, stir-fry for 1 minute, then add the stock and sugar. Bring to the boil, cover and simmer for 20 minutes.
3. Meanwhile, cut the bread into cubes and place in a large bowl. Mix the vinegar with water and remaining oil. Pour over the bread and toss well until all the bread is slightly moistened.
4. Using a blender or food processor, purée the soup with the bread in batches, until smooth. Return the soup to the pan. Add the chopped basil and seasoning to taste. Heat through; the soup should be thick.
5. To serve, top each portion with a drizzle of olive oil, shavings of Parmesan and basil.
* Canned plum tomatoes can be used; two 400 g (14 oz) cans in place of 2 lb. fresh.
The Florida Conference of The United Methodist Church
450 Martin Luther King, Jr. Avenue
Lakeland, FL 33815
(863) 688-5563 or toll free (800) 282-8011