Click Here to Donate to Hurricane Irma Fund
For Local Church Historians
It is recommended that every church have a historian to preserve the history of the church. There may also be a Committee on Records and History to assist the historian.
The duties of the historian are listed in ¶247.5 of the 2012 Book of Discipline.
A number of resources are available to assist the historian:
- Church Historian: Remembering the Past and Inspiring the Future, a booklet in the Guidelines for Leading Your Congregation series, is a comprehensive guide that every local church historian should have. In addition to excellent information about the historian's job, it also contains a helpful resource list. It is available from Cokesbury for $3.25. The pastor may also have a copy.
- The website of the General Commission, www.gcah.org, has an excellent section for local church historians, under Ministry Resources.
- The Commission on Archives and History offers workshops for local church historians. Contact the representative from your district about setting one up. See Commission Members.
- The Commission can also provide suggestions for records management, preservation, writing of history, and celebrations.
- Archival supplies are available from the following companies. Contact them for a free catalog or to order on line.
Gaylord www.gaylord.com 1-800-448-6160
University Products www.universityproducts.com 1-800-628-1912
Hollinger Metal Edge www.hollingermetaledge.com 1-800-862-2228 or 1-800-634-0491
Light Impressions www.lightimpressionsdirect.com 1-800-828-6212
The Florida Conference of The United Methodist Church
450 Martin L King Jr Ave
Lakeland, FL 33815
(863) 688-5563 or toll free (800) 282-8011