JOB DESCRIPTION - Director/Minister of Discipleship and Adult Ministries
Trinity United Methodist Church
POSITION: Director/Minister of Discipleship and Adult Ministries
REPORTS TO: Senior Pastor
The Director/Minister of Discipleship and Adult Ministries shall identify and develop a core team of leaders to aid in the process of developing, organizing, training, empowering, and supporting Discipleship Teams at Trinity UMC as the congregation lives out its mission to Worship, Grow, and Serve.
Specifically, the Director shall lead the development of processes in all areas of the church, whereby the people of Trinity United Methodist Church are encouraged and equipped to take the next step along the discipleship pathway, including using their God-given gifts in service to each other, to the church, and to the community.
The Director/Minister shall assist Trinity UMC and current leadership in establishing comprehensive Adult Ministries as well as new arenas of Discipleship Ministry to our community; similar, but not limited to, Fresh Expressions, Celebrate Recovery, Dinner Church, Wesleyan Small Groups, Stephen Ministry, and the ongoing development of invitational ministry inside and outside the church.
The Director of Discipleship's tasks shall be to:
1. Support, mentor, supervise and coach the Discipleship Staff Team (Adult, Youth, & Children).
2. Work with Church Leadership teams to lead, invite, equip, organize, appreciate, and spiritually support staff and lay persons who are called to use their gifts in ministry.
3. Work with the leadership team to develop vision, goals, and benchmarks for the Discipleship Ministry related to Adult Ministries. Communicate with staff, lay volunteers and participants to evaluate progress toward these goals.
4. Evaluate and continue to improve resource needs for our "Growth" in Adult Discipleship/Education.
5. Create the overall framework for the congregation to grow in their love for God and others through the seven spiritual practices: prayer and meditation, reflection on Scripture, financial generosity, small group community, gifts-based service, invitational evangelism, and corporate worship, as follows:
Position Alignment with Trinity’s Mission: “Because of God’s love for us through Jesus Christ, we exist to worship, grow, and serve.
1. Assist the Ministerial Team with planning and leading worship, preaching, and ongoing pastoral care.
2. Develop and maintain a “ramp up” or assimilation process for guests/visitors and prospective members toward faithful discipleship.
1. Communicate the vision that each person is called by God to a life of continuing growth in discipleship through Christian education, study, and travel that will lead each person to give him/herself in some form of study and ministry.
2. Equip members and regular attendees to discover their gifts, calling, interests, and availability for ministry, which will include our ongoing Lay Academy, Spiritual Gift
Inventories, and personal assessment tools, etc.
1. Invite, train and provide ongoing support and leadership for serving in and through the church both locally, regionally, and abroad.
2. Give Leadership, along with our Director of Communications, in utilizing our TouchPoint database tracking system which supports all of the above.
1. BA or MA in a field related to Christian Education.
2. Training or experience in the equipping organizational model.
3. Ability to lead teams and sub-teams on a large organizational level.
4. Well balanced leadership and delegation skills.
5. Strong understanding of systems and database concepts.
1. A Christ-centered, biblically rooted, warm-hearted faith in Christ which expresses itself in a loving, joyful, healthy relationship with others and personal freedom in sharing his/her personal experience of Christ.
2. A clear passion to draw uncommitted persons into a living relationship with Jesus Christ.
3. An excitement and commitment to the mission, and vision of Trinity United Methodist Church.
4. A visionary person with the freedom to explore the most effective means by which the church’s mission/vision can be fulfilled.
5. A team player who works well with other church staff members and who has proven effectiveness in working with volunteers.
6. Personal commitment to the spiritual heritage, doctrine, and social principles of the United Methodist Church.
7. Evidence of Christian character with lived-out spiritual disciplines and participation in the life of the church.
8. A sense of humor and ability not to take him/herself too seriously.
9. High energy level for the demands of a growing ministry.
Contact: Wayne Wiatt
Address: 120 West Park Avenue Tallahassee FL 32301
The Florida Conference of The United Methodist Church
450 Martin Luther King, Jr. Avenue
Lakeland, FL 33815
(863) 688-5563 or toll free (800) 282-8011