Director of Communications
Director of Communications
Reports to: Executive Director
The Director of Communications will create, oversee and implement promotional tools and activities designed to enhance communication between St. James, its members, and visitors. The Director of Communications will also lead all initiatives to expand the visibility of St. James and the church’s participation in our community at all levels. These efforts will be in line with and support the mission of the church “to make disciples of Jesus Christ for the transformation of the world.”
- Inspire engagement from congregation and community by implementing comprehensive, global communication strategies.
- Ensure the St. James “brand” is maintained across all mediums with stylistic and relevant excellence.
- Manage internal and external communication strategies to maintain global, church-wide perspectives.
- Develop content as well as create marketing and promotional materials through intentional engagement with ministry directors in order to enhance all ministries of the church.
- Develop and manage relationships with volunteers and appropriate outside vendors for printing and distribution of print and electronic media. Ensures that production schedules remain on-time.
- Coordinate and manage historical archive of image management (photo and video).
- Coordinate and manage in-depth coverage of all campus events, including pre- and post-event marketing and communication.
- Design & maintain internal communication mediums, including all print and digital medium forums.
- Research and implement current media standards across all mediums.
- Works with Executive Director and ministry department leaders to determine event promotion strategies while managing event budgets and expenses.
- Manages relationships with volunteers (photographers and videographers) in order to provide still and moving image content for St. James’ publications, web site and informational videos.
- Designs and launches weekly church-wide email newsletter (eNews).
- Oversees St. James website, app & social media forums. Solicits and generates copy for site and implements its posting online. Maintains all pages within the site, ensuring information is accurate and “fresh”.
- Recommends and implements new tools/services for two-way communication with members and community.
- Creates & delivers press releases, media relations content & social media content.
- Develops captivating story ideas for use in print, video & digital mediums.
- Produces “Around SJ” video announcements – script writing, recording, editing.
- Executes communication to guests through quarterly SJ101: Connecting event and various communication touch points.
- Other duties as assigned by the Executive Director.
- Bachelor’s degree or equivalent work experience. Three to five years work experience in marketing communications required, primarily in design, layout & content management.
- Project management experience, exceptional organizational skills and attention to detail, demonstrated ability to multi-task.
- Excellent written and verbal communications skills; flexibility, ability, and tact to work with a variety of situations and people (including volunteers) to accomplish tasks.
- Proficient in design software (Adobe Creative Suite: Photoshop, Illustrator, InDesign, etc.)
- Able to provide portfolio of recent previous work.
- Proficient in common office software (Word, Excel, PowerPoint, Publisher, etc.).
- Demonstrated experience in writing and editing materials for print and web-based communications vehicles.
- Proficient in social media and online database software (Facebook, Twitter, Instagram, YouTube, WordPress, CMS).
- Working knowledge of basic video production (story telling, audio/video, lighting techniques, editing software, etc.), or willing to learn.
- A demonstrated ability to support the mission and ministries of SJUMC.
Physical requirements include prolonged sitting and prolonged viewing of computer monitor.
- Team Player
- Team builder
- Servant Leader
Contact: Steve Day
16202 Bruce B Downs Blvd Tampa FL 33647